CKUA Radio Network
Director of Finance and Administration
Position title: Director of Finance and Administration
Hours of work: 40 hours per week. May involve overtime and shift work
Location: Edmonton, AB
Call for Application:
If you are a fan of music and the arts in Alberta, CKUA is the place for you! As the newest member of our management team, you will use your sharp financial skills, strategic mind, and collaborative spirt to help shape a bright future for one of Alberta’s most beloved cultural organisations. As a leader and a team player, you value rigour and hard work – and a little fun along the way.
Please visit ckua.com for more information.
Reporting to the CEO, the director of finance and administration defines the process and implements the infrastructure/systems needed to support CKUA’s financial sustainability and growth. This person will continue to build and manage effective and streamlined administrative/financial systems, including financial, accounting, human resources (HR), and property management.
As a member of the senior management team, the director is involved in planning, implementing, and evaluating CKUA’s strategic direction, goals, objectives, plans and budgets.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Assume the lead role in planning, development, management and analysis of the annual operational budget on behalf of CKUA Radio Network
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements for staff and CKUA’s board of directors
- Review and finalize financial reporting materials and metrics for staff and CKUA staff and board of directors.
- Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for administration and existing programs; support the development of new initiatives.
- Review, develop, and recommend appropriate policies and procedures to ensure compliance and reporting requirements are met
- Perform specialized financial reporting for government grants and regulatory agencies such as CRA, AGLC, CRTC, SOCAN, and OSFI
- Provide contract control oversight
- Ensure best practices, and ethical standards of financial accountability are upheld on all organizational resources, including public and donor funds
- Coordinate all audit activities
Administrative Leadership and HR Management
- Serve as a business partner to the CEO on the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes—including HR, payroll, and benefits functions—with an eye to analysis and continuously developing and improving systems
- Participate in union negotiations and ensure CKUA’s adherence to the collective bargaining agreement
- Manage a team of accounting staff and volunteer program staff; hire and retain staff as needed in the future
- Assume the lead role as the internal resource for HR matters
- Fulfil the duties of Chief Privacy Officer for CKUA, including as needed, the drafting of policies and procedures relating to privacy legislation
- Participate in financial and administrative risk management efforts with support of key staff and board members as needed.
- Participate in tenant-related administration and negotiations
- Oversee building operating cost calculations and recovery
- Oversee administration of contracts, changes to rates, renewals and cost recovery
The director of finance and administration will:
- Be a senior financial professional with 7+ years’ experience, including managing the finance and administration of a multi-million dollar organization
- Have experience or in-depth knowledge of working in a charitable, non-profit environment
- Have experience or can speak to creating and driving the analytic framework for planning and managing organizational change in a highly entrepreneurial organization
The director of finance and administration will have the following experience and attributes:
- A valid designation from a recognized Canadian professional accounting body (CPA, or previous designation)
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, ideally in the non-profit sector, including legal, audit, compliance, and budgeting
- Demonstrated HR management experience
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a complex, diverse, and dynamic team
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems
- Proven effectiveness leading, coaching and developing staff teams
- Proficient with accounting software, ideally Samco and advanced Excel worksheet skills. (While not necessary to the position, CKUA also uses Wide Orbit for programming purposes, and Raiser’s Edge for fundraising purposes)
- Independent initiative, sound judgment and strategic decision making abilities
- Desire to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Flexible and able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, discretion, diplomacy, and a commitment to CKUA’s mission.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, June 26th. While all applications are appreciated, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in CKUA!